ISLAND LANGUAGES

French is the language of government/schools and Tahitian the language of the natives of French Polynesia.

ELDER COSBY'S ADDRESS

ELDER SETH LORENZO COSBY
Tahiti Papeete Mission
L'Eglise de Jesus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours,
Mission Mormone, BP93
(for pkgs add: Cours de L'Union Sacree)
Papeete Tahiti 98714
Polynesie Francaise
__________________________________________

Unto the Islands of the Sea

Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off, unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations . . . -------------------------------------------Doctrine & Covenants 133:8
Bonjour! [bon-ZHOOR]:French-------------------------IaOrana! [ee-ah oh-RAH-na]:Tahitian-------------------------Hello!
Bienvenue! [bee-ahn-vuh-new]:French-----------------------Maeva! [mah-AY-vah]:Tahitian-----------------------Welcome!

21.10.10

TAHITIAN DRUMMING LOGS AND ELDER PAITIi: October 18, 2010

Dear Family,
 Oct 18 
I've found lots of intriguing people here in Tahiti. Yesterday at church an old man with sunglasses on came up to me and said "I'm gonna break every bone in your body" and right after he said "I love you" and walked away.  I think that might be the only English he knows.

Also there was a man who looks exactly like one of those little troll dolls with the hair that sticks straight up and this was his entire talk translated: "Hi kids! Everyone should go on a mission. and we can prepare for our missions right now," and then he sat down.

My new companion is Elder Paiti.  He is a big jolly guy.  We are three now.   Today we are going to our bishop's house and he is going to give us Toeres  -- Tahitian drumming logs, so tonight we will be having a jam session.  

Dogs hate me.  They never go for my companions, they always go for me.  We have done several experiments to prove that theory right.  All the dogs here are disgusting and everyone here has red eyes because everyone here has conjunctiveitis.  I feel like I am in the movie I Am Legend.

We found a random guy on the street who was taking out his trash.   We saw him and passed him, but for some reason we felt super strongly that we needed to turn around, so we did and talked to him.  He was super interested because he went to the temple open house here and he loved it so much he went again.  So  we are going to start the lessons with him. That's about it.
Love y'all
Love Elder Cosby

No comments: