ISLAND LANGUAGES

French is the language of government/schools and Tahitian the language of the natives of French Polynesia.

ELDER COSBY'S ADDRESS

ELDER SETH LORENZO COSBY
Tahiti Papeete Mission
L'Eglise de Jesus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours,
Mission Mormone, BP93
(for pkgs add: Cours de L'Union Sacree)
Papeete Tahiti 98714
Polynesie Francaise
__________________________________________

Unto the Islands of the Sea

Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off, unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations . . . -------------------------------------------Doctrine & Covenants 133:8
Bonjour! [bon-ZHOOR]:French-------------------------IaOrana! [ee-ah oh-RAH-na]:Tahitian-------------------------Hello!
Bienvenue! [bee-ahn-vuh-new]:French-----------------------Maeva! [mah-AY-vah]:Tahitian-----------------------Welcome!

14.5.10

GROWING UP AND BECOMING A MISSIONARY: May 14 2010

Dear Mom and Dad,

. . . the MTC is becoming kind of the same thing over and over again so I don't think I will have much to write about besides things like I sat in class for a very long time and memorized french words.  That is pretty much the only thing I do here besides eat and sleep.
      My first devotional was by Jeffrey R. Holland.  We heard from other Elders as well as leaders that after that devotional there is no reason to go any others because I will just be disappointed.  I think they were right, that is probably the greatest talk I have ever heard in my entire life.

    Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, The Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


      . . . some of the better points of the talk were when Elder Holland said, " I'll punch you in the nose . . . " and "This isn't Burger King you can't have it your way," in reference to preaching the gospel.  I wish I would've brought my notes but it was amazing.  He spoke about growing up and becoming a missionary and understanding what it is all about right here in the missionary training center as opposed to waiting until halfway through the mission like many do.  All this was said between great finger pointing and fist pounding.
      I'm very glad I heard this the first week in the MTC as opposed to later.  It has given me great motivation to work really hard.  I've never worked so hard and been so tired at the same time in my life as I have while here.  Also, it is difficult to stop calling people dudes.  Those are the hardest things about the MTC.
      In the two huge bags were materials I needed in French and Tahitian, since everyone else gets 9 or 12 weeks to learn their languages and we only get six weeks for each.  We have to teach a 35 minute first lesson to someone next Wednesday, but I have like 12 hours a day to study French so I'm not that worried.  That is all.

Love, Elder Cosby
". . . Jesus began to preach . . . and he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."  Matthew 4:17, 19

No comments: