ISLAND LANGUAGES

French is the language of government/schools and Tahitian the language of the natives of French Polynesia.

ELDER COSBY'S ADDRESS

ELDER SETH LORENZO COSBY
Tahiti Papeete Mission
L'Eglise de Jesus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours,
Mission Mormone, BP93
(for pkgs add: Cours de L'Union Sacree)
Papeete Tahiti 98714
Polynesie Francaise
__________________________________________

Unto the Islands of the Sea

Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off, unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations . . . -------------------------------------------Doctrine & Covenants 133:8
Bonjour! [bon-ZHOOR]:French-------------------------IaOrana! [ee-ah oh-RAH-na]:Tahitian-------------------------Hello!
Bienvenue! [bee-ahn-vuh-new]:French-----------------------Maeva! [mah-AY-vah]:Tahitian-----------------------Welcome!

20.2.12

MARRIAGE IS WHAT BRINGS US TOGETHER TODAY: January 30, 2012


Dear Family,
My first companion Elder Punu got married and since the reception was in the chapel 6 feet from our house I was able to go. Elder Punu put me at the table of honor, and even though we went home we could still hear the music late into the night. Punu's wife is from Hitiaa, my second area.  I got to see a lot of people that I knew before over there. It was great. We also went to Paea today and I saw one of our old investigators who recently received the Melchizedek Priesthood. I have been seeing a lot of my old friends for some reason lately.

Moving on to culture time:  France and French countries do what is called Bisoux to greet people. This consists normally of grasping hands and/or shoulders of the victim and then bumping your face (cleanliness is optional) on the side the victim's face and then doing the same on the opposite side. At each face bump, a kissing noise is made, but the lips in most cases do not actually make contact with the face.  Normally missionaries are counselled against this practice because it is weird.   So we defend ourselves.  The extended arm elbow locked block was created to evade any incoming bisoux, but often a missionary is caught unawares, leaving the opposing party standing having gone 50% lips pursed ready to make the kissy noises and the missionary's hand extended.   After several seconds of this artisticly awkward pose, either the opposing party or the missionary will give in . . .  in bisouxing or hand shaking . . .  with many incomprehensible after awkward situation mumbles. I have only given in to one old lady in the first week of my mission. In every other Bisoux battle I have held my ground leaving victor. 
Love y'all
Love, Elder Cosby 

No comments: