ISLAND LANGUAGES

French is the language of government/schools and Tahitian the language of the natives of French Polynesia.

ELDER COSBY'S ADDRESS

ELDER SETH LORENZO COSBY
Tahiti Papeete Mission
L'Eglise de Jesus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours,
Mission Mormone, BP93
(for pkgs add: Cours de L'Union Sacree)
Papeete Tahiti 98714
Polynesie Francaise
__________________________________________

Unto the Islands of the Sea

Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off, unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations . . . -------------------------------------------Doctrine & Covenants 133:8
Bonjour! [bon-ZHOOR]:French-------------------------IaOrana! [ee-ah oh-RAH-na]:Tahitian-------------------------Hello!
Bienvenue! [bee-ahn-vuh-new]:French-----------------------Maeva! [mah-AY-vah]:Tahitian-----------------------Welcome!

16.8.10

HOUSE ON STILTS, INVESTIGATOR FROM FRANCE, & COCKROACHES!: August 16, 2010

Dear Family,

I have never eaten so much meat in my life.  All we eat here is meat and rice or bread.  I super love it.  It is a dream come true.  My whole life I've wanted to go somewhere where I could just eat bread all the time.  Who would've thought it would be my mission to eat bread alot. 

In answer to the many questions asking if I have gotten fat, the answer is you will have to wait 2 years and see. Our new house is awesome.   It has a big garage under it so it is up on stilts, so the wind blows through it real nice and it is always a nice temperature.   But the sad thing about the wind is that there are no mosquitoes.  I was really enjoying killing mosquitoes every morning and night.  The shower has this box next to it and it is a heater thing that we have to light with a match to heat hot water.   It is awesome.  I literally can't complain about anything now because our other house had no hot water. 



I can pretty much understand everyone now except for when old guys speak Tahitian they like to speak really fast and during sacrament meeting I can't concentrate for that long, but I couldn't do that at home either so no surprise there.   Speaking of sacrament meeting, in our first ward this Sunday they surprised us by asking us to bear our testimonies because one of the speakers didn't show up and the theme was missionary work;  after that they surprised us by asking us to sing with some other guys a song in front of everyone, so that was also awesome.  In our other sacrament meeting there is a lady who sings as loud as she can and it is deafening.  I have never heard anyone screetch as enthusiasticly as she does.  Me and Elder Punu can never sing because we are always laughing too hard.  


We have a new investigator from France and he is incredible.  His name is Christopher and he knows nothing about the Bible, but he is incredibly smart and quickly accepts the doctrine.   Towards the end of Elder Punu talking about prophets,  Elder Punu asked Chrstopher if he had any questions and Christopher said, "Yea, just one.  Who is our prophet today?"  That was awesome.  Elder Punu said, "It seems like you have understood this concept well!"  and laughed a little bit and we talked about Thomas S. Monson.
One quick last story before I finish.  In our new house, there were 2 huge cockroaches on our rafter things and Elder Punu wantd to take a picture, so we decided to take a picture that made it look like I was licking them.  When the camera flashed,  a cockroach from somewhere else got offended and attacked me and flew into my mouth and then crawled down my tie.   I almost died.
  One last request:  If you could send me some cool Texas stuff that would be great!  My Tahitians would love it!


By the way, I just looked at Mom's blog and the boardwalk she has a picture of is the exact boardwalk that we ride down every day if you want a visual.

Love,

Elder Cosby

No comments: